Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What Will You Be Doing After You Graduate?

This is the question I get at least once a day.....what an intimidating yet exciting question.

After reading this article I sure am glad I didn't graduate last spring because the employment rates for graduates with a Journalism or Mass Communication degree weren't as high as they have been in years past. But I will not be discouraged, Spring 2010 Mass Communication graduates there is hope!!!

The ways I plan to prevent being jobless after graduation is by networking. I have heard the saying, "It's not the grades you make, it's the hands you shake." I never want to miss an opportunity to make a connection with someone, you never know they might know someone who is looking for an event planner for their non-profit organization, that sure would be convenient! I will also use my social media skills like Twitter and blogging to network and research job opportunities.

I am also not opposed to getting another internship the summer after I graduate, I think there are so many opportunities in internships to network, learn more about a specific PR field, and there is a chance an internship can turn into a job.

GCSU PR students also have an advantage with our portfolios. I hope to one day impress a future employer with my portfolio showcasing all I have done in my PR career at GCSU.

I am hoping by early next year I will have an answer to the question, "What will you be doing after graduation?" After all my Dad has reminded me that, "Your first job doesn't have to be your last job." I am willing to try a variety of careers dealing with non-profit or ministry related.

No comments:

Post a Comment