Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What I know now...That I wish I knew Then.

Life is all about living and learning and in my 21 years of life I like to think that so far I have learned a lot. Now in my 3 years at GCSU I have learned the art of Public Relations and I am looking forward to learning more. Here are my words of wisdom for a future PR student. 

1. Public Relations is like no other major.
As a college student you will learn which majors are "the easy majors," well my friend PR is not in that category. You can't wait until the night before for to plan an event. Your learning is NOT just in the classroom but rather through real world experience. You do not just learn a concept or formula in the book and move on, you learn it, apply it, and build onto it. Personally I prefer this style of learning rather than memorizing and listening to lectures. 

2. Network.
Whether it is social networking online through Twitter and blogs or sparking up a conversation with the lady in the elevator, learn to to network. It is quite intimidating at first, but you never know the connection you can make with someone and who can help you out in the future. 

3. Learn Photoshop or some sort of design program.
You will be designing flyers, invitations, logos, posters and anything else your client needs so release your inner artsy side and become familiar with the programs as soon as you can. Take a class to learn, you won't regret it.

4. Get a planner and use it.
If I write it in my planner it will get done, I have found this to be so helpful in keeping myself sane. Going back to having an outside the classroom kind of major you will have meetings, events, interviews, and deadlines weekly. Stay organized by writing everything down and plan for the weeks to come. 

5. Last but not least, write as much as you can.
Writing does not seem to be a crowd favorite, but as a PR student it is crucial to be able to write. The more I write the easier it becomes and the more I enjoy it. Find your style of writing and keep improving on it. 

Hope these little nuggets of wisdom help you along your PR journey. Never pass up an opportunity to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment