Monday, September 7, 2009

I never want to learn something new everyday.


Recently I have come to the realization that I have a love for learning. My parents have always said that I always asked A LOT of questions when I was a kid, and I still do. I am just a curious person trying to take in as much as possible.

I am telling you of my curiosity for the purpose of sharing some skills I want to learn before I graduate. According to this post on davefleet.com there are 14 key skills and attributes for new public relations professionals. Here are a few I would like to learn more about or improve on before that scarrrrryyy day of graduation.

1. Writing- Since this is such a crucial part of PR I want to improve my writing skills and have a distinct style of writing. I don't mind writing, but I am not confident in my work. I could use some improvement.

2. Search Engine Optimization- I am a creature of habit and just use Google and if I don't find what I am looking for in the first couple pages I then move onto another search engine. I suppose I need to learn to search the web more efficiently 

3. Coding- Considering I don't even quite know what this is, I need to learn a lot more about this skill. 

4. RSS- Here is another skill I need to look into. I am familiar with RSS but would like to learn more on how to use it properly. 

There are few skills on the list I think I possess, but none the less can still work on.

1. Attention to Detail- I love details. In event planning sometime I stress too much about the small details, but I think the small details are important and someone will notice them. 

2. Proactiveness- Once again my curiosity and task oriented personality helps in being proactive. I don't do well with idle time or procrastination so I do my best to stay on top of assignments and deadlines.

3. Social Networking Tools, Blogs, and Twitter- Thanks to my PR professor, Ging, I have learned to be a social media advocate. I was always a fan of facebook, and honestly spend too much time on facebook, but find it very beneficial for networking now that most of the world has a facebook account. I also am now a fan of Twitter and enjoy following celebrities and people who put up informative links.

Being a senior I am trying to soak in as much knowledge and wisdom I can and take with me along my PR journey. Feel free to leave any comments with advice or other important PR skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment