Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Discovering my passion: FCA Girls Night Out


Recentley I have really been thinking about event planning as a career. I realize how much I enjoy working hard putting on events and then seeing the final product, it is so rewarding pulling off a fabulous event especially when it is for the glory of the Lord, I get an extra fire underneath me when I know I am serving Him.

I have been planning Parkview High School's (my alma mater) FCA's Girls Night Out. It is this weekend, March 21, and I am so excited it is finally here. I have been using my skills I have learned in my PR classes but it is totally different planning an event with people who are not trained in public relations. Us PR people we just think differently! But God has been so faithful in providing for the event and His timing is such a blessing.

Let me just give you a brief run down of the event because for the past months this event has been my little project (and has some time consumed me more then school):

The theme is "Sweet Dreams" and the decorations are modeled after a dorm room similar to how Victoria Secret's store set-up. Lots of bright colors and polka dots, very friendly and bright. The girls are getting shirts there and are asked to wear pajama pants. The event is in my church's newly built fellowship hall, so it will be perfect. We are serving them dinner and having various make your own dessert stations around the room with a college leader at each station to just chat with the girls.

Now if you are thinking this is on the cheesy side remember there are middle school and high school girls!

We have a panel of college girls that are speaking on various topics. I thought the girls would enjoy hearing from people closer to their own age about issues we face in middle/high school.
The GCSU Wesley Praise band is leading worship and they are such a blessing to hear. My boyfriend is the lead singer so I was able to pull some strings to get them to come all the way to Gwinnett. I enjoyed making the flyers (image above) and sign-up sheets using my photoshop skills, those sure do come in handy! 

There are so many smaller details I am excited about but I figured you would appreciate it if my blog wasn't a novel. 

I am writing about all this because I have discovered my passion for planning events to minister to young women. I get so much joy out of knowing God is going to touch these girls hearts and providing these special girls with a night they will always remember. 

High school is such a crucial time for young women and I would have loved going to FCA Girls Night Out and hearing the encouragement and advice from college girls. I have such a  passion for the hearts of young women and have so much I want to share with them. 

I am hoping God placed the opportunity to plan FCA Girls Night Out in front of me to prepare me for many more events like this in my future. Maybe one day I will be planning women's conferences or retreats and all my PR girls can come to it! (Tyler, our solo PR guy, I will find you a men's retreat so you don't feel left out!)

If you know any connections with a women's ministry please feel free to tweet me @LChandley or leave a comment!


1 comment:

  1. Lauren this is so cool! After college I really want to get involved with a high school ministry or with the youth group at my church because I love high schools and know that they need godly influences in their lives, and you've made me realize that all this PR stuff can help me in this! Just knowing how to plan and carry out events can be a great asset to have in doing this!

    ReplyDelete