Monday, February 9, 2009

Greek Life and PR

I was browsing the PRSSA website and I came across an article "Event Unites Greek Community and Teaches Importance of Public Relations."

Here is the article click here and take a look.

I think our school's greek life would definitely benefit from a Public Relations training conference. Being in a sorority I have planned and promoted many events and have used my public relation skills. I know other greek students who would benefit from a PR training session to learn the basics of event planning, press release writing, and dealing with other greek organization.

PR skills are so useful in so many aspects of life! I am so glad I am learning skills in my PR classes that I am able to use outside the classroom in my other organizations, especially with my sorority since I was special events planner. Having the knowledge of press release writing is really beneficial because I am able to send in releases to The Colonnade and other local newspapers about our upcming events. Greek relations is something our school needs to work on. Press release writing is a skill greeks could use to publicize events. Half the time events aren't properly publicized because students don't have the PR skills to put together a press release or how to get it to newspapers or other media outlets.

I think our PRSSA chapter at GCSU should consider doing this for our greek community. I know we could come up with a great board to speak and Lord knows our school could use some greek unity too. We have the potential to plan greek socials and philanthropy events if we could just work together. Perhaps we could figure out a way to turn the media training event into a fundraiser and charge chapters to come and provide lunch. Just an idea, I think it would be fun to train at least the executive board of each sorority or fraternity basic PR skills. 

This article caught my eye because it involved PR and greek life; two organizations I am involved in!


1 comment:

  1. Lauren this is so true! I am T-Shirt chair for my sorority this semester and it is crazy how I can use my PR Skills for this position too! And also I know within my chapter, communication between so many different people can be difficult at times. I second your thought on the need for PR training for the greek community!

    ReplyDelete